Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Not checking email so much

I've hear the productivity tip to never check email in the AM because it gets the day to a bad start, and I've heard 12 and 4 proposed as alternate times. Problem is, I'm teaching at 4, and and thereabouts is prime practice time for me. But if I don't make specific times for email, I end up at it all day, and then there is NO practicing.

SO, I'm going to stop checking email unless I get a text alert on my phone saying it's come from someone specific or is related to teaching, OR come to do something specific that has to be done, such as email some students or do my online banking.

I'm also going to set a sort of priority list: Respond to emails, online banking and other important or work-related stuff, on down to checking entertainment websites and stuff if there is time. I'm also going to start keeping a short list of things I want to do on the internet, and not running to the computer every time I think of something and getting distracted. That is why I did not post last night. I closed my browser, realized that I had not done my daily post...adn then realized it wasn't worth getting sucked back into the internet.

No comments: